Propane is one of the safest fuels available today, but like any other fuel propane must be handled with care. Here are some safety tips to consider when dealing with propane:
- Propane gas emits a smell similar to rotten eggs, so you can easily detect it.
- Propane is heavier than air, so be aware that it gathers in low-lying areas.
- Always store propane cylinders outside in a well-ventilated and secure location. Never store a propane cylinder indoors.
- Propane can be ignited by many sources inside / outside the home including pilot lights, open flames, and electric sparks. Ignition of propane gas in an enclosed space can result in an explosion. Never smoke while handling a propane cylinder.
- Propane gas can cause severe frostbite if it comes into contact with skin or eyes.
- All lines not attached to appliances must be closed with caps or plugs.